The Quest for Order in the Midst of Chaos

A story of my quest for speech for my son, another child, and life in general.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Delaware, Ohio, United States

With my hostile uterus in tow, I'm trying to get my son the help he needs (Autism, SPD, and other minor physical issues), learning about my daughter's needs (auditory processing issues), and dealing with a CRAZY blessed life.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

History

Well I guess we all have to start somewhere. So how about our history?

My husband and I met In 1997 online, yes we're one of THOSE people. We slept together the night we met. Wild torrid sex! Okay, that might not be entirely honest, but it's close enough. We continued to date for a while afterwards, until he broke it off with me. Something about he couldn't keep his hands off of me...I didn't realize that was a BAD thing...

For the next several years we kept in contact on an off. Occassionally meeting up to see if that spark was still there. It was. Then he called me out of the blue (mid 2001). He says he has to see me, he has to talk to me. I agree to meet him at his house. He is waiting for me with a present when I arrive. It is a simple glass decorative bottle. He says, after much prodding, "I want to spend the rest of my life with you." I sit in shock and try to rearrange my thinking. I say, "Maybe we should date a little more first and see where it goes?"

Fast forward to January 26, 2002, he proposes marriage. He gives me a beautiful ring that he had specially made just for me. I know you are jealous now (the one person who is bored enough to read this anyway). We plan our wedding for March 22, 2003 since it will be my last year of law school and that is Spring Break.

I'd known for a while I had medical problems that could affect my fertility, but up until I started thinking about getting married it didn't seem very important. I'd recieved treatment for endometriosis, and was "healing." Or so I thought. According to the doctors, it wasn't happening at all. In other words, it had been 2 years since I had a period and of that only 6 months was because I was on any medication (I HATE Lupron). So it had been a year and a half with no medication and no period. Odd. Yeah, I hear you out there shouting - LUCKY! You can shut the fuck up right now...unless you've TAKEN Lupron, then maybe you can talk a little.

So the doctors start doing tests. They tell me in June, 2002 that they don't think I'll be able to have children on my own. They don't see a reason for me to be on birth control since I'm not ovulating and have NO hormones capable of causing ovulation. (HAH, so THEY thought.)

In August, I found what I thought was a lump in my breast, and I made an appointment with my OBGYN. The nurse practitioner is the only one who can see me. She says "Are you sure you're not pregnant?" Only a month after hearing I couldn't have kids on my own, and being very sensitive about that (we won't discuss the amount of crying), I said, "Did you even READ my chart before I came?! I can't have kids, thanks for the reminder." Maybe I was a little bitter, but only maybe a tiny bit. By now, I'm sure you all know where this story is going... To "humor" the idiot, I took a pregnancy test there in the office...NEGATIVE! She tells me she's sorry and walks me out. As I'm making a follow up appointment, I hear a yell from the back of the office. The nurse practitioner comes RUNNING out and says, "WAIT!" I follow her back to the room and she says that she had gone back to clean up and throw the test away and noticed it now showed a POSITIVE. That's right. I was pregnant. I was also on a ton of medication. Some of which was listed as Pregnancy Category X (which is a BAD thing).

We had a number of scares throughout the pregnancy where I almost lost the baby. I was on bed rest (modified then strict) from 20 weeks until I delivered at 34 weeks 5 days. Mr. Miracle's lungs were mature and he seemed to be a perfect baby boy. We had some problems with his bowels though and ended up having test after test, with the threat of surgery constantly hanging over us. Thankfully, his bowels outgrew problem and he got better on his own. We also found out after I stopped breastfeeding that Mr. Miracle has a dairy allergy (actually casein - nasty stuff!). The reaction has steadily gotten worse (we know because there have been "mistakes") over time though, so it isn't looking like he will out grow it.

Mr. Miracle has always been "quiet" in that he wasn't a babbler or "talker." He screamed enough though, especially when he had trouble with his bowels. So we didn't think much of it.

Fast Forward. Mr. Miracle is 12 months old, he's just starting to babble. I start thinking maybe we have a problem. I mention it to the doctor who says, "give him time." So I go home and continue reading books, talking, and playing with my son. By 13 months I'm getting more worried and bring it up again. The doctors seem a little more concerned now, but again say wait it out. At 15 months I bring it up AGAIN. This time the doctors say let's get a hearing test. I know that's silly my son hears fine, but I take him anyway. I was right. The doctor does nothing. By 18 months I'm getting frustrated. I have a son that says da or dada for EVERYTHING and nothing else (besides vowel sounds). I stop waiting for the doctor to do something and start making calls on my own. I finally get hold of Help Me Grow, a government funded agency in Ohio that does Early Intervention for problems like speech, hearing, disabilities, etc. They have Mr. Miracle evaluated. Several weeks later the social worker comes to my house with the results.

In gross and fine motor and receptive language Mr. Miracle is within the normal range (at that time 18 months). Then I realized his expressive language hadn't been mentioned. She reads the report to me and it start to become clear. My son is at the level of a 6 month old in expressive language development. I don't know what to do or think. I guess I was in shock because I didn't really know what it meant until later. I signed papers and the social worker went back to start working on who could help my son. I cried later...I cried a lot...

Two months later (21 months of age) we FINALLY have an appointment with an Early Intervention (EI) specialist from MRDD (mental health retardation disibility something or other - I prefer NOT to hear what it stands for, okay?). Mr. Miracle starts speech therapy. I also start a job. I did go back and finish law school and had graduated in May 2004. I never did take the Bar...still haven't...so I went to work as a Legal Secretary/Paralegal for a law firm here in town. That's where I work now.

At this point Mr. Miracle is in therapy, I'm at a new job (but he was too I guess - learning to speak), and we're coping with the speech problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home