Today
Well, today. Finally, I made it up to today. Can we tell it's been a slow day at work?
When we moved, we moved counties, so we're dealing with the LOVELY thing called RED TAPE. Not just your normal red tape either...I'm talking about GOVERNMENT style red tape. Oh yes. Since MRDD is separated by county we had to transfer to the other counties Help Me Grow and from there to that MRDD. Finally, got a call from the new EI specialist we will be working with (only took a month - I think that is a speed record) and she needs letters from our insurance company saying they won't pay (duh, that's why I'm paying the bill!!), she needs a new evaluation, etc. So now I'm dealing with insurance company red tape, another extra fun variety.
Have I mentioned that Mr. Miracle is still without a diagnosis as to WHY this loveliness is occurring? Well, there we are, he has no diagnosis. I was told it probably is NOT a "developmental delay" - isn't that a lovely sounding term? Don't you want one? Now why isn't it your "garden variety developmental delay?" (Love that term too don't you? I took it from a speech pathologist.) Well, apparently, a delay is when the receptive (understanding) and expressive (spoken) language are fairly equal - i.e. no significant delay.
Hmm, what would you call it when the child's understood language (at last re-evaluation 1 month ago) is at age level AND ABOVE and the spoken language is at 12 months. Mr. Miracle's chronological age? 25 months. That means his receptive language is at 25 months (actually had some "passes" in the 36 month range) and his expressive language is at 12 (only one or two passes at that level, all passes at the 8-12 month range). That give us a delay of...who can do the math? Exactly right! 13 months!!! Is that significant? Who knows, I'd say significant, but I'm just the mom - what the hell do I know?
BTW, you'll have to excuse my language since I don't censor myself here. I do it enough at home so that Mr. Miracle 's first word isn't "fuck" or something else equally as pleasent. If we ever hear a word other than 'go.'
So at this point, we are still trying to get a diagnosis. In the meantime I've done something terrible...that is google "speech delay" and "developmental delay." I've found that my son doesn't really match any of the symptoms of a "garden variety developmental/speech delay." Oh, how reassuring. So what horrible thing DOES my son's symptoms match? Well, there is one that I suspect having read a significant amount about it. Apraxia. Actually, Developmental Verbal Apraxia. I know that doesn't help you at all does it? Go ahead and google it for yourself...or my suggestion is to read The Kaufmann Children's Center's website, especially the signs and symptoms section here.
Well, we have a meeting with the new EI specialist set for next week. We get to do paperwork. Yeah fun. We get the results of the private therapists "reval" (re-evaluation, really, you must try to keep up) this Friday. I'll post the results for the search engine that is interested.
When we moved, we moved counties, so we're dealing with the LOVELY thing called RED TAPE. Not just your normal red tape either...I'm talking about GOVERNMENT style red tape. Oh yes. Since MRDD is separated by county we had to transfer to the other counties Help Me Grow and from there to that MRDD. Finally, got a call from the new EI specialist we will be working with (only took a month - I think that is a speed record) and she needs letters from our insurance company saying they won't pay (duh, that's why I'm paying the bill!!), she needs a new evaluation, etc. So now I'm dealing with insurance company red tape, another extra fun variety.
Have I mentioned that Mr. Miracle is still without a diagnosis as to WHY this loveliness is occurring? Well, there we are, he has no diagnosis. I was told it probably is NOT a "developmental delay" - isn't that a lovely sounding term? Don't you want one? Now why isn't it your "garden variety developmental delay?" (Love that term too don't you? I took it from a speech pathologist.) Well, apparently, a delay is when the receptive (understanding) and expressive (spoken) language are fairly equal - i.e. no significant delay.
Hmm, what would you call it when the child's understood language (at last re-evaluation 1 month ago) is at age level AND ABOVE and the spoken language is at 12 months. Mr. Miracle's chronological age? 25 months. That means his receptive language is at 25 months (actually had some "passes" in the 36 month range) and his expressive language is at 12 (only one or two passes at that level, all passes at the 8-12 month range). That give us a delay of...who can do the math? Exactly right! 13 months!!! Is that significant? Who knows, I'd say significant, but I'm just the mom - what the hell do I know?
BTW, you'll have to excuse my language since I don't censor myself here. I do it enough at home so that Mr. Miracle 's first word isn't "fuck" or something else equally as pleasent. If we ever hear a word other than 'go.'
So at this point, we are still trying to get a diagnosis. In the meantime I've done something terrible...that is google "speech delay" and "developmental delay." I've found that my son doesn't really match any of the symptoms of a "garden variety developmental/speech delay." Oh, how reassuring. So what horrible thing DOES my son's symptoms match? Well, there is one that I suspect having read a significant amount about it. Apraxia. Actually, Developmental Verbal Apraxia. I know that doesn't help you at all does it? Go ahead and google it for yourself...or my suggestion is to read The Kaufmann Children's Center's website, especially the signs and symptoms section here.
Well, we have a meeting with the new EI specialist set for next week. We get to do paperwork. Yeah fun. We get the results of the private therapists "reval" (re-evaluation, really, you must try to keep up) this Friday. I'll post the results for the search engine that is interested.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home