The Quest for Order in the Midst of Chaos

A story of my quest for speech for my son, another child, and life in general.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Delaware, Ohio, United States

With my hostile uterus in tow, I'm trying to get my son the help he needs (Autism, SPD, and other minor physical issues), learning about my daughter's needs (auditory processing issues), and dealing with a CRAZY blessed life.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Pregnancy Update

We're both still here and doing okay :-)

We made 17 weeks this week and so far so good. A little crampy this week, but I think things are just stretching out in there. I've started to definitely feel the baby moving around now too! I thought I could before, but there's no mistaking this for anything BUT baby moving now!

Mr. Miracle asked me today when the baby would be born and I told him that the doctors can only guess when a baby will come, but they are estimating September 21, 2009. Then he looked upset and asked in a kind of whispery voice..."How big will the baby be when it comes out of your tummy this time, Mommy?"

I told him "I don't know, but I hope the baby will have time to grow big and strong before it is born."

And I do. I hope lots and lots and lots.

Though I'm not entirely certain how these new test results will help us do that. Apparently, my decision to meet with the perinatologist early was a fairly good one. Everything is fine, but when they ran some tests, one came back positive. See...I'm a mutant. Yeah, really! If you ask NeverExMarine for the description of the test results he'll tell you, "Hostile's motherfucker gene is fucked up."

That isn't QUITE what the results said, but his description makes me laugh. I have "several mutations" (several is what the nurse said when she called - which mutations I don't know, I haven't gotten the lab results in my hot little hands yet!) on my MTHFR gene. I guess he's close enough in his description LOL

The doctors called me back in for two more sets of blood work after that. Hopefully we'll have the results soon enough to tell me what's going on. According to what little I've been told, the MTHFR mutations are similar to blood disorders. The peri thinks that may have been the cause of my pre-eclampsia and HELLP Syndrome. The new tests are supposed to tell us if MTHFR really is the cause or if we need to keep looking.

I'll try to update when I know more. Right now I sort of feel a little out of sorts. It really may not have been my fault that I got sick and my babies were born early. It really may not be my fault that I lost so many little angels along the way.

You see, in addition to problems for the mother, MTHFR mutations cause a MUCH higher incidence of chromosomal abnormalities, neural (and neural tube) defects, and developmental delays in children.

Now I'm a little nervous for my Level II ultrasound on May 5...though we've never had physical problems with any baby that has made it passed the first half of the first trimester...so why should I worry now?!

Don't answer that! ::knocking on wood preemptively anyway::

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home