I'm Still Alive
Thanks, Mete, for the reminder :-)

We had Mr. Miracle's eye appointment yesterday. He definately has strabismus (where the eyes don't point straight) of the type Accomodative Esotropia (meaning they point inward toward the nose due to focusing issues). He is also, according to Dr. GoodWithKidsButAdultsCanKissMyAss, "one very farsighted little boy." However, Dr. GoodWithKidsButAdultsCanKissMyAss will not be treating the farsightedness. Apparently, Mr. Miracle sees fine.** Due to his eye crossing - which apparently is not LEFT Constant Esotropia, it is Bilateral? Alternating Esotropia, something meaning both eyes will take turns freaking various relatives and passers by out - he is ignoring the vision from the crossed eye (otherwise he'd have double vision) and thus using one eye.
Try this, walk around with one eye closed and try to reach for things. Uhm, but don't do this near anything sharp, and please don't run. Apparently, we have shitty depth perception with one eyeball, and thus we tend to fall or run into things more frequently because of it. Eventually, Mr. Miracle would learn to cope with this, but why make him if he can get "stereo vision" back? Besides, we all know stereos are just better.
**If someone can explain that, PLEASE do because it makes not a damn bit of sense to me. Being nearsighted, if I don't have glasses on I can't see shit, so please don't tell me I see fine. Maybe it works differently for farsighted people??
Anyway, they gave me a perscription for glasses. These glasses will help with Mr. Miracle's focusing problems (him trying to focus is what causes the crossing), which will then allow him to use both eyes to see out of, giving him back depth perception...THUS stopping my little man from running into things at full tilt...say chairs or doors. I'm hoping he gets stereo vision and depth perception soon or somebody is soooooo going to call Children's Services on me for beating the shit out of my kid about the head and face...
Oh, and I'm 9w3d and going strong. Met with the nurse practitioner yesterday and that went fine. She did want to "look," and I let her use the speculum, which she didn't even get near the cervix. Uhm yeah, today, some dark spotting. Which I should have expected even with the qualifications.
Other than that, I'm meeting with Dr. AlwaysLateButGreat on Mr. Miracle's birthday ::sniff:: At the time of my appointment it will have been 3 years and 12 hours and 11 minutes from when Mr. Miracle was born ::SOBBBBBBBBB:: I can't believe he's gotten so big!!!!
::sniff, wipes eyes:: I'll be okay, really ::sob:: it's just these damn Hallmark commercials (and the St. Jude radioathon*)...but ::sniff:: I'll make it, I'm not really that emotional ::blowing nose:: not even a little bit...Shut up NeverExMarine!
*I LOVE St. Jude and the work they do (what a beautiful, special, place!), but could we stop with the heart-wrenching stories while the poor, emotional, pregnant woman is driving? Pretty please? Tear blurred eyes and sobbing are not good for driving. Just not good.

We had Mr. Miracle's eye appointment yesterday. He definately has strabismus (where the eyes don't point straight) of the type Accomodative Esotropia (meaning they point inward toward the nose due to focusing issues). He is also, according to Dr. GoodWithKidsButAdultsCanKissMyAss, "one very farsighted little boy." However, Dr. GoodWithKidsButAdultsCanKissMyAss will not be treating the farsightedness. Apparently, Mr. Miracle sees fine.** Due to his eye crossing - which apparently is not LEFT Constant Esotropia, it is Bilateral? Alternating Esotropia, something meaning both eyes will take turns freaking various relatives and passers by out - he is ignoring the vision from the crossed eye (otherwise he'd have double vision) and thus using one eye.
Try this, walk around with one eye closed and try to reach for things. Uhm, but don't do this near anything sharp, and please don't run. Apparently, we have shitty depth perception with one eyeball, and thus we tend to fall or run into things more frequently because of it. Eventually, Mr. Miracle would learn to cope with this, but why make him if he can get "stereo vision" back? Besides, we all know stereos are just better.
**If someone can explain that, PLEASE do because it makes not a damn bit of sense to me. Being nearsighted, if I don't have glasses on I can't see shit, so please don't tell me I see fine. Maybe it works differently for farsighted people??
Anyway, they gave me a perscription for glasses. These glasses will help with Mr. Miracle's focusing problems (him trying to focus is what causes the crossing), which will then allow him to use both eyes to see out of, giving him back depth perception...THUS stopping my little man from running into things at full tilt...say chairs or doors. I'm hoping he gets stereo vision and depth perception soon or somebody is soooooo going to call Children's Services on me for beating the shit out of my kid about the head and face...
Oh, and I'm 9w3d and going strong. Met with the nurse practitioner yesterday and that went fine. She did want to "look," and I let her use the speculum, which she didn't even get near the cervix. Uhm yeah, today, some dark spotting. Which I should have expected even with the qualifications.
Other than that, I'm meeting with Dr. AlwaysLateButGreat on Mr. Miracle's birthday ::sniff:: At the time of my appointment it will have been 3 years and 12 hours and 11 minutes from when Mr. Miracle was born ::SOBBBBBBBBB:: I can't believe he's gotten so big!!!!
::sniff, wipes eyes:: I'll be okay, really ::sob:: it's just these damn Hallmark commercials (and the St. Jude radioathon*)...but ::sniff:: I'll make it, I'm not really that emotional ::blowing nose:: not even a little bit...Shut up NeverExMarine!
*I LOVE St. Jude and the work they do (what a beautiful, special, place!), but could we stop with the heart-wrenching stories while the poor, emotional, pregnant woman is driving? Pretty please? Tear blurred eyes and sobbing are not good for driving. Just not good.


3 Comments:
So glad to hear that all is going well and that Mr. Miracle is getting help for his eyes. And fyi, I'm nearsighted (can't see far away) and don't actually NEED to wear my glasses. Mr. M just can't see things that are far away from him, so glasses, while helpful aren't necessary. (((hugs)))) Call me sometime! I feel like we haven't talked in forever!
You know, even when I'm not pregnant (which is essentially 386 months of my 395 months in this world) I can't listen to the St. Jude's telethons.... I weep, I weep like it was one of my own that was ill (even before I had one of my own).
Glad your little man is all fixed up with his new specs, nothing is cuter than little kids in glasses...well, once they stop screaming about having to wear them :) Good luck!
Glad to hear things are going well. You just need to check in every now and then. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home