The Quest for Order in the Midst of Chaos

A story of my quest for speech for my son, another child, and life in general.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Delaware, Ohio, United States

With my hostile uterus in tow, I'm trying to get my son the help he needs (Autism, SPD, and other minor physical issues), learning about my daughter's needs (auditory processing issues), and dealing with a CRAZY blessed life.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Surgery

Well, NeverExMarine and I have decided to go ahead and have Mr. Miracle have the ear tube surgery. We met with the surgeon yesterday, and we've scheduled the surgery for September 1. It will be done at Children's Surgery Center because I feel more comfortable there. The surgeon said the other center is great and he prefers that one, but I prefer Children's. He works at both, so I simply scheduled for a day he's at Children's instead.

So here's my thoughts about surgery: (1) How soon do they let you back with your child? If I'm not there when Mr. Miracle wakes, he cries and I really rather he didn't get hysterical in the time it will take them to get me. (2) They say they give him a liquid to drink (Versaid) before taking him from me to take him to the operating room and then he will be there awake like that (i.e. drugged out of his mind) for about 5-10 minutes before they will really knock him out. I am scared, even when Mr. Miracle was half dead with pnuemonia he wouldn't let the doctor take him from me, or even let me hold him out from my body...he would fight and cry even though it turned him blue! I won't be able to let go if he cries. If he cries, will they just run him off down the hall anyway? (3) After surgery, they wait until he's fully awake and responding to them to get me (according to the brochure*), but Mr. Miracle signs when he wakes, he doesn't talk until he's upset and then it's really just screaming. He signs "mama milk" or "milk mama" depending on which order he wants us in :-) When he is ignored he gets upset and scared and starts crying "mama...mama" which is clear enough, but he will likely have at least one arm tied down (from the IV) which is going to freak him out anyway...

So, to say the least, these thoughts have me about ready to have kittens! I'm going to have a whole litter of kittens before this is over. After they take Mr. Miracle, I'm going to be popping kittens out like a tennis ball machine.

Part of the reason I want it at Children's is because I don't react well under anesthetia. I don't like to wake up (i.e is takes me a VERY long time even on a very low dose), and I'm horribly sick no matter what kind they give me...and sometimes my breathing gets funny part way through surgery, either my asthma or allergies acting up is my guess, which freaks the doctors out (breathing tube in longer, etc.). I'm hoping Mr. Miracle won't be like that (and barring a problem he won't NEED a tube according to the surgeon). However, just for my peace of mind, I think being close to the main hospital is best.

This hasn't been an easy decision, and honestly I'm frantic. I've got no one to talk to who understands that I don't want Mr. Miracle crying or hysterical. He still sleeps with us, he snuggles with me all night, if he has a bad dream he needs me, he still nurses to calm himself...

Allow me to make my problem perfectly clear - they may have done thousands and it may be a short, simple procedure, but this is MY BABY damnit and nothing else matters.

* Picture it - Have surgery at OUR hospital we'll treat you like just another number. Let us cut you open and then you (or your insurance company) can pay us for the privilege of making you look like Frankenstein's monster. And, if you sign up now, you could even get an extra night - for only double regular price! That's right, just DOUBLE REGULAR PRICE!! Remember us when you need to be sliced, diced, punctured, or chopped, we're here for you, Number 123-45-6789.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home