Speech and Periods
So I'm sure so some of you have noticed how THRILLED I've been with Mr. Miracle's improvements lately. He has just done so amazingly well since he had his ear tubes put in. I really had begun to believe that all of these speech issues must have just been a case of hearing issues even though there had been three tests showing his hearing normal. I was beyond thrilled, it was way better than what I and the therapist had suspected...
Today I stayed home from work. I wasn't feeling well and Mr. Miracle was still sick (a cold), so we stayed home to get some rest. Then I remembered today is Monday so I had SecondButGreat (the babysitter and friend) come take us to Mr. Miracle's speech therapy (she has the car seat). Mr. Miracle did really well. I was so amazed and happy for all the progress we have been blessed with.
After therapy was over our therapist came to talk to me. I had observed from a one way mirror. That's when she told me about how behind he is and how she's really concerned about some issues, even though he has shown progress. I had been so thrilled and I thought we were past all of that...but she says that the red flags and signs are all over and getting more clear as time goes on. She has already begun treating him as if he has apraxia, and anticipates the testing after he turns 3 to confirm her suspicions. I must have had a look of hope in my eyes because then she said that she has never mentioned this to a parent at this stage and been wrong. I thought "there is always a first time for everything," and I'm going to hold onto that hope right now. I ALWAYS need hope.
To top it off, we may be losing our other help that we get through the county MRDD program. This help will transfer to the school system when Mr. Miracle turns three. The reason we might lose that help? The child must be 2 standard deviations away from the norm in at least one area or 1.5 standard deviations in two areas. Mr. Miracle isn't QUITE 2 standard deviations away from the norm in Speech. He's JUST shy of two standard deviations in expressive language. He would only qualify for help if we count articulation and expression as two areas, but the school system doesn't count them separately. They count speech, fine motor, gross motor, self help, etc. as separate areas, but nothing within speech. So expression and articulation (his two big problem areas according to the therapist), those don't count.
I guess I'm sad. I really thought I had been wrong, that this had really been a strange hearing issue since he's improved SOOOO much. I was sure she'd tell me that he's doing awesome and he would be fine by the time he starts school. NeverExMarine and I will make it through this though, as will Mr. Miracle. We know the school system has to help us. Especially since there is a problem. If we have to, we will fight for him. We will make sure Mr. Miracle has the help he needs, no matter what we have to do.
Oh, and I still know nothing on this cycle. I've adjusted my chart to say that I ovulated just before the second temp rise since that way I could sort of match things up a little better between the progesterone and cervical stuff. I'm currently 8dpo, under this adjustment, and waiting for my period to start. I sincerely doubt we managed to get pregnant this time with all of the stress and screw ups on when I was fertile. The doctor suggested Provera to start a period, but what would be the point of that now? If I wait I'll start in about 3-5 days, with the Provera, 5-7. So why take drugs I don't need to?
And a Joyous Samhain to all of you!
Today I stayed home from work. I wasn't feeling well and Mr. Miracle was still sick (a cold), so we stayed home to get some rest. Then I remembered today is Monday so I had SecondButGreat (the babysitter and friend) come take us to Mr. Miracle's speech therapy (she has the car seat). Mr. Miracle did really well. I was so amazed and happy for all the progress we have been blessed with.
After therapy was over our therapist came to talk to me. I had observed from a one way mirror. That's when she told me about how behind he is and how she's really concerned about some issues, even though he has shown progress. I had been so thrilled and I thought we were past all of that...but she says that the red flags and signs are all over and getting more clear as time goes on. She has already begun treating him as if he has apraxia, and anticipates the testing after he turns 3 to confirm her suspicions. I must have had a look of hope in my eyes because then she said that she has never mentioned this to a parent at this stage and been wrong. I thought "there is always a first time for everything," and I'm going to hold onto that hope right now. I ALWAYS need hope.
To top it off, we may be losing our other help that we get through the county MRDD program. This help will transfer to the school system when Mr. Miracle turns three. The reason we might lose that help? The child must be 2 standard deviations away from the norm in at least one area or 1.5 standard deviations in two areas. Mr. Miracle isn't QUITE 2 standard deviations away from the norm in Speech. He's JUST shy of two standard deviations in expressive language. He would only qualify for help if we count articulation and expression as two areas, but the school system doesn't count them separately. They count speech, fine motor, gross motor, self help, etc. as separate areas, but nothing within speech. So expression and articulation (his two big problem areas according to the therapist), those don't count.
I guess I'm sad. I really thought I had been wrong, that this had really been a strange hearing issue since he's improved SOOOO much. I was sure she'd tell me that he's doing awesome and he would be fine by the time he starts school. NeverExMarine and I will make it through this though, as will Mr. Miracle. We know the school system has to help us. Especially since there is a problem. If we have to, we will fight for him. We will make sure Mr. Miracle has the help he needs, no matter what we have to do.
Oh, and I still know nothing on this cycle. I've adjusted my chart to say that I ovulated just before the second temp rise since that way I could sort of match things up a little better between the progesterone and cervical stuff. I'm currently 8dpo, under this adjustment, and waiting for my period to start. I sincerely doubt we managed to get pregnant this time with all of the stress and screw ups on when I was fertile. The doctor suggested Provera to start a period, but what would be the point of that now? If I wait I'll start in about 3-5 days, with the Provera, 5-7. So why take drugs I don't need to?
And a Joyous Samhain to all of you!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home