The Quest for Order in the Midst of Chaos

A story of my quest for speech for my son, another child, and life in general.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Delaware, Ohio, United States

With my hostile uterus in tow, I'm trying to get my son the help he needs (Autism, SPD, and other minor physical issues), learning about my daughter's needs (auditory processing issues), and dealing with a CRAZY blessed life.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

If He Wants to Call Them Snowflake "Babies"...

As I was reading through the letters to the editor of the Columbus Dispatch, I found this letter. Generally, the letters don't interest me much, but in this case, what a GREAT idea!!

Here is the text of the letter:
Leftover embryos could be tax deduction
Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Since President Bush wants to veto a bill that would allow research on blastocysts that are days old, basically a group of undeveloped cells that will be thrown away as medical waste, I have a great idea so these embryos will not go completely to waste.

Let Americans adopt these cells, then we could use them as tax write-offs as our children, since Bush believes that’s what they are. I could use a better tax return, and the more children I have, the better.

We might as well get some benefit from them, although I would rather have the tremendous medical benefits that they could do for the American people. But since Bush would rather destroy that chance, I guess we have to wait until after 2008. That’s a long time to go without the chance to beat diseases that are killing millions of people.

ELYSE STUCKEY
Columbus
_____________________________________

Isn't that a GREAT idea?! If he wants to call them snowflake "babies" than shouldn't we be getting a tax deduction for them? Granted, that might cut back on the people willing to donate the blasts to others, but some people might still be feeling generous enough to give up their tax deduction. Besides, shouldn't I then get a tax deduction from the time of conception and not just after the baby is born? If it is a "baby" at a few cells, then why can't I take my tax deduction from then, too?

If these blasts are "babies" then we should get to treat them like that, in EVERY way, including for tax purposes. Oh, and then if we have "abandoned" the "babies," then shouldn't the government be paying to keep them? They should also have a social worker, those 8 cells need a representative to speak on their behalf...you know a guardian like they would get if they were a ward of the state. We will also need to set up foster care for these "babies," I mean we can't keep them all locked up in that little cryopreserve tank forever, isn't that cruel and unusual? Hmm, maybe thawing them only to dispose of them instead of putting them to a higher purpose is MORE cruel and unusual. Besides, many of the blasts won't survive the thaw anyway, maybe we shouldn't thaw them at all...if they really are "babies" and many of them "die" in the thawing process, isn't that murder?

Hmm, with the cost to the government piling up by calling a few cells "babies," it is no longer a mystery to me why we are so far in debt under Bush's administration...perhaps it is because he has the mind of a shrub.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home